Since 2002, nearly 399,000 scholarships have been provided to low-income Florida students in grades K-12. Starting in 2011 (when reports became required), our accounting firm in Miami has successfully submitted over 350 reports to the Program.
The Step Up for Students program was created to alleviate the educational challenges faced by Florida children who live in or near poverty. It provides Tax Credit Scholarships to students K-12 who come from low-income families and opportunities to enroll them in private school or an out-of-district public school that may be better suited for their individual needs.
With this income-based scholarship, families can choose between two options:
• A scholarship to help cover private school tuition and fees, worth up to $5,272.
• A scholarship to assist with transportation costs to attend a public school in a different county, worth up to $500.
If a child is entering kindergarten through 12th grade and meets one of the following, he/she may qualify for a scholarship:
• A child whose family qualifies based on income
• A child whose family income qualifies for free-or-reduced-priced lunch
• A child whose family receives SNAP (food stamps), TANF or FDPIR
• A child who is in foster care or out-of-home care
• A child who is homeless
Scholarships are awarded on a first-come, first-served basis and can be transferred to other eligible schools if the student moves within the state, or just wants to attend a different Step Up school.
Verdeja, De Armas & Trujillo, LLC is the leading firm in the State of Florida in providing the Step Up for Student Agreed-Upon Procedures report. Our firm understands more than anyone how important a child’s education is and no one should be limited because of their living situation. We take this into consideration when performing our services and ensure that the school meets the eligibility requirement for the following year to receive funds.